All year long we wait for fall to enjoy some of our favorite seasonal desserts. Pumpkins, apples, cranberries, cinnamon, caramel, maple…the list goes on and on. Caramel apples may be our favorite fall treat and this caramel crumble cake is a great update on the classic.
For the cake:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
For the topping:
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and sliced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 6 large apples
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- caramel sauce
- vanilla ice cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- Set the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Combine the baking powder, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Next, include the applesauce, light brown sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract.
- Mix all the ingredients very well together.
- To prepare the topping you need to mix the cinnamon, butter, brown sugar, and flour.
- Get a knife and cut off the top parts of the apple. Remove the center part together with the seeds.
- Prepare a baking pan and fill it with the apples.
- Use the lemon juice for the rims of the apples.
- Grab the cake mixture and fill the apples, leaving 1/4-inch to the rim. Finish off with the topping.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and leave it there for 30 minutes.
- Serve the caramel crumble cake stuffed apples right away with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.