A popular Vietnamese dish, banh xeo is similar to a crepe, although it’s really more like a fried, savory pancake made with rice flour, water, and turmeric. Not only is it absolutely delicious, but banh xeo is actually also pretty easy to make, even if you don’t have much experience with the dish. Here is a recipe for how you can make it yourself at home.
- 1 and 3/4 cup rice flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 and 1/2 cup water
- 1 can coconut cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Green onion
- 1 pound shrimp
- Yellow onion
- 1 and 1/2 pounds bean sprouts
1. Combine the rice flour, AP flour, turmeric, water, coconut cream, and salt in a bowl. Let rest for a few hours, ideally overnight. After the batter rests, you can add the chopped green onions.
2. Wash the bean sprouts and shrimp and chop the yellow onion. Heat up oil over medium-high heat and add onion. Cook until fragrant and then add shrimp. Sautee until the shrimp are cooked.
3. Pour in the batter and rotate the pan until the batter is evenly spread out. Lower the heat, add bean sprouts, and put on a lid over the pan. Cook for three more minutes. Remove the lid and keep cooking until the pancake crisps up.
4. Fold in half and serve.