Summer birthdays can be tricky because you have to pick between making ice cream or a cake—but how about serving both at once? This Berry ice cream cake is a delicious, refreshing choice for summertime birthdays and family gatherings.
This tasty recipe was shared by the food blog Rainbow Nourishments, and you only need five ingredients to make it yourself. If you’re a fan of raspberries and blueberries, you won’t be able to resist this mouth-watering ice cream cake, and it will probably become your go-to summertime dessert.
- 1/2 cup (65g) raspberries
- 1/2 cup (75g) blueberries
- 1 lemon, zest and juice (optional)
- ~4 1/4 cups (1kg) vegan vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup (160g) raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup (65-75g) fresh raspberries and blueberries, for decoration
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper, and leave it hanging over the sides. A 22 cm (8.6 inch) long loaf tin is recommended.
- Blend raspberries and half of the lemon zest and juice in a food processor. When the mixture is smooth, add 400g of the softened vanilla ice cream to the mix and process until combined.
- Add the raspberry ice cream to the loaf tin, and smooth the surface with a spoon or spatula. Leave it in the freezer until set, for approximately an hour.
- Spread the raspberry jam over the raspberry ice cream, and return it to the freezer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Take the loaf tin out the freezer and add 200g of the softened vanilla ice cream on top. Smooth the surface and put it back in the freezer for about an hour.
- Add another layer of raspberry jam on top with a spoon or spatula, and return it to the freezer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Blend blueberries and the remaining lemon zest and juice in a food processor until smooth. Add 400g of the softened vanilla ice cream to the mixture and pulse until combined.
- Take the loaf tin out of the freezer and add the blueberry ice cream on top. Smooth it out with a spoon or spatula, and leave it in the freezer until set, for about two hours.
- Pull the baking paper to remove the ice cream from the thin, or carefully run the tin under warm water if it’s difficult to remove.
- Use fresh berries for decoration and serve immediately. The leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to a month.