Jubes are a type of starch, gum and corn syrup based candy, originally produced by the Heide Candy Company. But, They are easy to make at the comfort of your home! here is a recipe for you to try.
- 550g castor sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 15g pectin
- 15g citric acid
- 300g seedless fruit purée
- 75g apricot or raspberry jam
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 75g liquid glucose
- Line the base of a baking tray with baking paper. Mix 50g castor sugar, pectin, and citric acid together in a bowl. In a saucepan, bring the fruit purée, jam, lemon juice and vanilla essence to the boil. Add the pectin and citric acid mixture and bring back to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- Put the remaining castor sugar, glucose and 80ml water in a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil. Continue boiling until the mixture reaches 120 C on a sugar thermometer.
- Add the fruit mixture, mix together and heat it to 110C. Pour into the lined tray and leave to set at room temperature for 5 hours.
- When set, cut into cubes and sprinkle with castor sugar. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.