Instead of regular bread, why not bake your own cornbread? The aroma of it baking will have you cut it straight out of the oven. And making this for guests will earn you major compliments.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups blue, yellow, or white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Not sure if y’all recall a ‘small’ storm that rolled through last year, but #hurricaneirma sure left her mark on our cornfields. We will have limited quantities available this year of #whitegrits and #whitecornmeal. If you’ve been waiting on our #hawkinsprolific, it’s on the website now. We have a free shipping bundle available. The link to our website is in our bio 👨🌾🌽👩🏻🌾 #colonialmilling #heirloomcorn #wegrowitwemillit #glutenfreemill #upstatesc #certifiedsc #carolinasoil #getitwhileyoucan
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray an 8-inch square pan or a 9-inch round pan with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter over a low heat until melted. You could melt the butter in the microwave, but cover the bowl and heat for the minimum time.
- In a large bowl, beat together melted butter, milk, and egg with a wire whisk or a fork. When well-mixed, add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir until the flour is just moistened, and the batter is still lumpy. Pour batter in the pan. Spread evenly and smooth the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. To check if ready, insert a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, it’s done. Serve warm.