Everyone needs to have a basic sugar cookie recipe, and with this one, you really cannot go wrong! Give it a try and watch some magic happen.
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 1/4 cups of chilled and cubed unsalted butter
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- In a bowl, mix the salt, baking powder, and flour.
- In another bowl, beat the sugar and butter on high for about 3 minutes. If it’s not fluffy, don’t worry about it!
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Turn the speed to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Split the dough into two and form into disks. Wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Take the disks out one at a time, leave them out for 5 minutes to come to room temperature, and lightly flour a sheet of parchment paper.
- Dust the top with a bit more flour and roll out until 1/4 inch thick.
- Flour your cookie cutter so it doesn’t stick, cut out shapes, and put them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 F for 12-16 minutes, rotating the trays halfway.
- Cool on wire racks and enjoy!