If you need a go-to cocktail for family gatherings, small parties, or just after a long day at work, this blueberry sage cocktail is just what you’re looking for. It is slightly sweet, has a great light, herbaceous taste, and can be customized to your taste.
For this recipe, you will need 12 oz of frozen blueberries, which are cheaper than fresh and available all year round, 2/3 cup of fresh lemon juice, 1/3 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of packed sage leaves, and 2 1/2 cups of gin. You can also use one bottle of sparkling wine or sparkling water.
- Over medium heat, combine the blueberries, lemon juice, water, and sugar together. Stir and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Turn the heat down so the mixture is just at a simmer and smash the blueberries inside the pot.
- Add in the sage leaves and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Take the mixture off the heat and allow it steep overnight.
- Then, strain the mixture making sure to get out all the juice from the blueberries, store it in a jar or bottle to use later, or combine in a punch bowl or pitcher with the gin. Add the sparkling wine or water just before serving.