Figs are currently in season so why not make the most of them and make some dessert with this tasty fruit. You can always take the usual route with cakes, tarts, or puddings, but if you are feeling a bit adventurous, we have just the thing for you. Our recipe for sweet bread with figs, almonds, and honey is the perfect way to realize the full potential of fig season. This amazing dessert will immediately become the favorite in your household, and you will return to it each year. Check it out below.
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 4 fresh figs
- ½ cup dried figs
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Add one egg at a time and continue mixing.
3. Add peel of one lemon and lemon juice to the mix.
4. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients and milk to butter, sugar, and eggs mix.
5. Continue mixing until you’ve achieved the batter consistency.
6. Add the dried figs and chopped almonds to the batter.
7. Brush the bread pan with some oil or cooking spray. Cover it with parchment paper and pour the batter into the pan.
8. Bake in the oven for an hour or until the bread rises and achieves a golden brown color. Take it out and let it completely cool off.
9. Transfer the bread to a plate and brush the top side with Greek yogurt. Slice the fresh figs into quarters and line them on top. Drizzle the bread with honey.
10. Slice it any way you want and dig in.