Baklava is such a delicious Mediterranean and Middle Eastern treat, but making it from scratch can be really hard. Instead, opt for these baklava cookies and you can have the best of both worlds!
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup of powdered sugar
- Three tablespoons of honey
- 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- One package of sugar cookie dough or homemade sugar cookie dough
- Over low heat, melt the butter in a small pot.
- Once the butter has melted completely, add in the powdered sugar as well as the honey and stir it all together to combine. Once the mixture starts to boil slightly, turn off the heat.
- Pour in the chopped walnuts and cinnamon and mix everything well and quickly before the mixture hardens.
- Leave the nuts for 30-45 minutes to set.
- Cut the cookie dough, either homemade or store-bought, into 24 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and put them onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 F for 9 minutes, and then take them out of the oven. Spoon a bit of the nut mixture in the center of each cookie, and then bake for an additional 2-3 minutes to incorporate the filling.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!