Curry always has a way of absolutely hitting the spot. The flavors and the protein, all over a bed of rice—we’re drooling just thinking about it. This lentil and chickpea curry is so simple, without getting rid of any of the flavor.
The coconut milk makes this curry creamy, while the chickpeas and lentils make for a filling, vegan protein source. You’ll be amazed at how the flavors come together in this dish. Here’s how to make it.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 bell pepper (yellow or green works best)
- 1 yellow onion
- ½ spicy pepper
- Diced ginger
- Diced garlic (3-4 cloves)
- 1 16 oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 16 oz can chickpeas
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 16 oz can of coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Heat up the oil over medium heat in a pot. Add the onion and peppers and cook until they’re soft, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the diced ginger, garlic, and pepper to the oil for about 30 seconds, until they are fragrant. Then add the seasonings to the pot and stir for one minute.
- Make sure to drain the chickpeas from the water they come in. Then, add them to the pot, along with the tomatoes, coconut milk, and lentils, mixing them all together. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and check after 20 minutes to see if the lentils are soft. If not, cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and cool it for 10 minutes. Serve over rice.