If you’re looking for a delicious creamy soup to keep you warm during the cold winter days, you’ll find countless tasty recipes out there, but none of them compare to this mouth-watering potato leek soup.
Vegan cook Bianca Zapatka shared this amazing recipe with over half a million of her Instagram followers, who fell in love with it right away. To make the whole thing even better, you only need five main ingredients and under 30 minutes to prepare it.
Like the majority of Zapatka recipes, this one is fully vegan, gluten-free, and loaded with a bunch of tasty vegetables. If you’re searching for the ultimate comfort food, this is just what you’ve been craving!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium leeks (use white and light green parts only)
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes or with skin on)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or more as needed)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
To Serve (Optional):
- fresh parsley (chopped)
- 4 tbsp non-dairy yogurt
- vegan parmesan
- vegan grilled cheese sandwiches
- Cut off the bottom root with a sharp knife, then cut the leeks lengthwise. Remove the tough outer leaves and chop off the dark green leaves of the top.
- Chop the remaining leek and place it in a bowl of cool water. Use your hands to remove any dirt. Scoop the leeks out and transfer to a colander to drain and dry.
Making Potato Leek Soup
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and saute, stirring frequently, until just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer on low until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut milk, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Purée the soup using an immersion stick blender until smooth and creamy. (Alternatively, use a regular blender to blend the soup in batches).
- Return pot to the heat and allow to warm through. Serve with chopped parsley, vegan parmesan, and vegan grilled cheese sandwiches for dipping.