Anchovies are definitely an underutilized pantry item, but they shouldn’t be! They’re super healthy and sustainable, and when you add them to this toast, it’s the perfect afternoon snack.
- 8 slices of thick sourdough or country-style bread sliced to about 1/2 inch thick
- One stick of unsalted room temperature butter
- 2 tablespoons of Calabrian chiles
- 8 anchovy fillets
- Half a lemon
- 1/2 cup of parsley
- Olive oil
- Start by toasting the bread either in the oven or in a pan with a little bit of olive oil or butter. You can also do this under the broiler in the oven.
- Chop up the chiles so they’re pretty small.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter with the chopped up chiles.
- Take the zest from half the lemon and put it into another small bowl. To that bowl, add the juice of the lemon as well as the parsley. You can chop up the parsley and you can add a touch of salt or pepper if you want, or you can just leave it as it is.
- Let the bread cool slightly before putting the butter onto each of the slices.
- Then, top each toast with 1 anchovy fillet, a little bit of the lemon parsley mixture, and dig in!