Mac and cheese is the staple in American cuisine and one of the most beloved comfort foods. But no matter how much you enjoy this iconic dish, it represents a challenge to eat the entire batch in one sitting. Since mac and cheese is a notoriously filling meal, leftovers are almost guaranteed. Instead of having dry leftovers, turn your mac and cheese into a fried snack. Here’s how!
- Leftover mac and cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt, pepper
- Let the mac and cheese completely turn cold and hard. Then slice it into sticks or cubes.
- In one bowl, combine flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, whisk the two eggs and add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Pour the bread crumbs into the third bowl.
- Take your mac and cheese sticks/cubes and coat them in flour. Then dip them in the egg mixture before rolling them in bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the breaded mac and cheese until golden brown.
- Take them out, serve with sauce, and dig in.