Mac and cheese is the staple in American cuisine and one of the most beloved comfort foods. But no matter how much you enjoy this iconic dish, it represents a challenge to eat the entire batch in one sitting. Since mac and cheese is a notoriously filling meal, leftovers are almost guaranteed. Instead of having dry leftovers, turn your mac and cheese into a fried snack. Here’s how!
- Leftover mac and cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- salt, pepper
1. Let the mac and cheese completely turn cold and hard. Then slice it into sticks or cubes.
2. In one bowl, combine flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, whisk the two eggs and add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Pour the bread crumbs into the third bowl.
3. Take your mac and cheese sticks/cubes and coat them in flour. Then dip them in the egg mixture before rolling them in bread crumbs.
4. Deep fry the breaded mac and cheese until golden brown.
5. Take them out, serve with sauce, and dig in.