Chicken and waffles is a classic American dish, though the roots aren’t totally known. No matter where this dish comes from, chicken and waffles is so comforting, that you can’t help but love it.
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 cups of buttermilk
- 1 stick of unsalted butter melted
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup of safflower oil
- 4 thin chicken cutlets, dried with a paper towel
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, 2 cups of buttermilk, and butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Take 1 cup of the dry mixture and put it into a third bowl and leave it to the side.
- Put the rest of the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet and fold gently.
- Pour batter into a greased waffle maker and cook until golden brown.
- Heat up the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- While the oil heats, salt and pepper and chicken, and dredge in the flour mixture. Shake off the flour, dip into the rest of the buttermilk, then dredge again.
- Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side, and serve with the waffles!