Chicken livers are not for everybody but the little guys are often referred to as a superfood because they’re loaded with B vitamins, are rich in iron, low in calories, and contain selenium which helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases. If it’s your first time cooking with liver, this is a great way to do so because the spicy sauce is so good that you won’t be able to stop yourself going back for seconds.
- 1 pound chicken livers, cleaned and trimmed
- 3-4 tablespoons peri-peri sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Melt the butter in a very hot skillet or frying pan and fry the chicken livers until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the garlic and onion until golden and add the livers back in.
- Add in the peri-peri sauce, cumin, and paprika, and allow to fry for another minute until fragrant. Add in the lemon juice and cream.
- Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.