Chai is actually the Hindu word for tea, but it’s come to be known as a spiced style of Indian black tea. Most people enjoy chai as a latte, however, it can really get expensive when you get them at coffee shops. Instead, make them yourself at home easily and you can control the flavor and save yourself some money!
- Start off by pouring two cups of water in a pot. Add to that 2 cloves, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, and allspice each.
- Whisk the spices in the water and turn on the heat to medium. Bring to a boil and then turn off the heat for 5 minutes.
- Then, turn the heat back on and add in 2 bags of black tea along with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey.
- Bring it up to a boil and then turn it off and let everything steep for another 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and keep it in a jar to use for lattes!
- To make the latte, add in 1/2 cup of the chai to a cup, and heat up 3/4 cup of any type of milk on the stove or in the microwave. You can also add in another tablespoon of maple syrup if you like it sweet and cinnamon if you want it spicier.
- Use an immersion blender to froth the milk and pour it on top of the chai.