Tofu is a perfect addition to any vegan’s menu and you can make many things with it as long as you’re creative and have a perfect recipe.
One of those recipes was shared by Instagram user @thevegansara who has 110,000 followers and counting. This tasty dish is the best of both worlds thanks to its crunchy texture and tender tofu on the inside, especially if you end up serving it with honey mustard sauce, just like Sara.
- 15 oz block of pressed tofu
- 1/2 cup mustard
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups panko
- 2 tbs neutral oil
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Cut the tofu into 3 slabs through its depth, then cut each slab into 3 equal size tenders, lightly slice with a knife on both sides, sprinkle salt and set aside.
- Mix mustard, agave, mayo, & salt/pepper in a bowl.
- Use 1/2 of the mustard to marinate the tofu. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and place it in the fridge.
- In saute pan, over medium heat, heat the oil and add panko. Stir continuously for 5 min until the panko turns golden brown. Turn off the heat, leave in the pan, and let cool.
- Set up 4 stations for the bread tenders: 1 plate with corn starch, a bowl with the remaining mustard sauce, panko in a pan, and a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper with a wire rack on top (optional but recommended).
- Take one tofu tender, dredge in corn starch (shake off excess) dip into the mustard sauce, then press it into the panko crumbs (make sure it covers all edges), and place on a rack/parchment paper. Repeat.
- Bake at 400 F for 30-35 min flipping halfway through cook time.