Whether you call it a swede or rutabaga, this root vegetable is the perfect way to welcome in the cold weather. It’s hardy and sweet and paired with carrots, it’s the perfect winter meal, and can even be vegan if you swap out the butter for oil or vegan butter.
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 medium rutabaga
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 6 cups of the stock of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, wash the carrots and rutabaga well.
- Dice the rutabaga and the onion into cubes and cut the carrots into thin slices.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pot and add in all the vegetables.
- Allow them to cook until the onions are translucent and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the lid on and cook for 10 more minutes so the other vegetables soften more.
- Pour in the stock and bring it up to a boil. Once it’s boiling, bring it down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly so when you blend it won’t be too hot.
- Pour it into a blender or use an immersion blender to make it super creamy and smooth.
- Taste, season further with salt and pepper if necessary, and enjoy!