You have probably heard about the many benefits of quinoa, but have you tried it for breakfast yet? Quinoa is a great way to start the day because it will provide you with a hefty serving of protein, vitamins, and fiber. One way to have it is in the form of porridge, with pumpkin and lots of spice. Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to six days. Here’s how to make pumpkin quinoa porridge.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa (rinsed)
- 12 ounces almond milk
- 8 ounces of water
- Coconut oil as needed (for rice cooker option)
- 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (a few tbsp for topping as well)
- 1/3 cup additional coconut milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (and some for topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice (optional)
- pinch of ground ginger (optional)
- 4 + 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey (adjust to taste)
- Toppings of choice: chopped nuts, gluten free oats or granola, etc
- In a medium pot, bring water and milk to a light boil then add quinoa and cover on low to medium low.
- About half way through cooking (8 or 9 minutes) stir in your pumpkin puree. Cover again and wait till it’s cooked and quinoa is fluffy (about another 8-10 minutes or so).
- Turn off heat and keep the pumpkin quinoa on the burner. Stir in the liquid coconut milk or canned coconut milk and spices. Mix thoroughly
- Stir in shredded coconut and maple syrup.
- Spoon into bowls and top with 1 tablespoon additional pumpkin and more coconut milk for extra creaminessiIf you’d like. You can also sprinkle with additional cinnamon and toppings of your choice.