Soda bread is a type of bread originally from Ireland that is magical in that it needs no time to prove! This is great if you need a homemade bread done quickly, so give it a shot and taste it for yourself.
- Four cups of flour
- 4 tablespoons of white sugar
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- One tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of softened margarine
- One cup of buttermilk
- One egg
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- 1/4 cup of buttermilk
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and margarine in a large bowl. Then, add in the buttermilk and egg and mix until just combined.
- Lightly flour a surface and turn the dough out, kneading gently and forming it into a ball.
- Put the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Combine the melted butter and buttermilk in a small bowl and brush the loaf with it.
- Slash the top of the loaf to make an “x” so that steam can be released as it baked.
- Bake at 375 F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean, but you might want to start checking around 30 minutes.
- Let the bread cool slightly before you cut into it and then enjoy!