Everyone loves a good margarita, but spicing it up with habanero simple syrup really takes it over the top. This recipe is simple and quick, but it really makes you seem like a professional bartender.
- One cup of sugar
- One cup of water
- One habanero pepper
- 16 oz of the tequila of your choice
- 16 oz of red grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed if possible
- Salt for rimming
- Zest of 1-2 grapefruits
- Start by making the simple syrup. To do this, simply combine the water and the sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir and cook until all the sugar has dissolved. While this happens, slice a habanero pepper. When the sugar finally dissolves, add in the pepper slices.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes and take it off the heat.
- Cool for 30 minutes and strain out the pepper slices before using it in the margaritas.
- To make the margaritas, take a big pitcher and pour in the grapefruit juice, tequila, and simple syrup. Mix and chill until serving.
- To serve, combine the zest of the grapefruits and salt. Rim each glass with the grapefruit, dip into a small dish with the salt mixture, and then pour in the margarita and drink up!