Chicken tikka biryani is a must-try Indian recipe.
For the chicken:
- 1 large onion
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 cup milk
- 500 g chicken
- 1 tablespoon chicken tikka masala powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- saffron strands
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
For the rice:
- 2 black cardamoms
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 bay leave
- 500 g Basmati rice
- 3-4 green cardamoms
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon ghee or oil
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- Start by frying the onion, cut into slices. Remove it from the oil when done.
- Get a bowl and fill it with the coriander powder, yogurt, red chilli powder, salt, cumin powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice, and half of the brown onions. Add the mint leaves, a handful of coriander, and green chilies.
- Prepare the chicken by cutting it slightly with a knife on several spots. Add it to the bowl with the marinade for at least half an hour.
- Also, let the rice soak for half an hour.
- When the chicken and rice are done, you can start cooking the rice.
- Combine two cups of water with bay leaf, black and green cardamoms, caraway seed, ghee, cinnamon stick, and cloves. When the water starts boiling add the rice.
- When the rice makes 80% of the mixture you can discard the water.
- Cook the chicken and marinade with 1 tablespoon ghee.
- Add the saffron strands to the milk in the meantime.
- When the chicken is done, add half of the rice to it. Add some of the onions, coriander and mint leaves. Top it off with the rest of the rice.
- Add another layer of coriander, onions, and mint. Finish off with the milk, saffron, and lemon juice.
- Add a lid to the pan and place it on top of a heavy bottom skillet.
- Turn the heat to low and cook the chicken tikka biryani for 30 minutes.