Malfouf, or cabbage rolls, are a delicious and vegan way to have a super flavorful meal that is sure to satisfy your hunger!
- Begin by taking the leaves off a head of cabbage and blanching them in salted water for just a couple minutes
- Take them out to cool, and save any extra leaves or the core that you discard.
- Dice 1 cup worth of tomatoes, 1 garlic clove, and as much green, white, or red onion as you like.
- Roughly chop mint, parsley, or both if you have them.
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup of rice, the juice of one lemon, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- If you want extra protein, add in some drained chickpeas.
- Add in all the herbs and vegetables along with salt and pepper.
- Take the leaves, cut them on the bottom if the stem is thick, place small spoonful of the filling and roll them up.
- Put any extra leaves or the core on the bottom of a pan and fill it with the rolled cabbage leaves.
- Fill the pot with water until all the rolls are just covered.
- Put the lid on, bring it to a boil, and then down to a simmer for 1 hour and enjoy!