Pickled onions are a delicious treat to have in your fridge. They work great in salads, on sandwiches, on top of curries and even in soups. They’re also really easy to make and a relatively healthy condiment to have on the side. If you want to make them for yourself or give them to your friends, this is the recipe for you.
- Begin by thinly slicing a red onion and putting the slices into a jar with a lid. Make sure it’s big enough for there to be a lot of liquid covering everything.
- In a saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups of white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of salt. This is the base for the pickle recipe, but if you want to make it more flavorful, you can add in things like allspice berries, whole peppercorns, garlic, herbs, or more.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and once it’s boiled, pour it over the onions in the jar.
- Put the lid on the jar and let it sit out until it’s completely cooled before putting it into the fridge.
- Once it’s in the fridge, wait at least one day but up to 3 or 4 before you dig in.