Using your cast iron skillet is a great alternative to a pizza stone because it can get nice and hot in the oven beforehand, and it gives your crust that extra crunch that you won’t be able to resist.
- 1/4 oz of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 1/2 cups of bread flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Homemade or storebought tomato sauce
- 8 oz of mozzarella cheese
- Any toppings you like
- First, preheat the oven to 450 F and leave the cast iron in there to heat up.
- In a large bowl, mix the yeast and sugar together in the water, stir and leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Once it’s foamed, add in the flour, olive oil, and salt and mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Lightly flour a surface and knead the dough for just a couple minutes.
- Stretch the dough into a circle that is slightly bigger than your cast iron pan.
- Put a little olive oil in the bottom of the cast iron and put the dough right in.
- Spread the tomato sauce and then follow it with the cheese and any other toppings you like.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is baked through and enjoy!