Poutine is a delicious Canadian treat that’s basically just cheese curds, fries, and gravy. This vegetarian version hits all the bases and is super satisfying!
- 1 pound of russet or Idaho potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 1/2 pound of cheese curds
- Clean and cut up the potatoes into whatever fry shape you like.
- Soak them in a cold bowl of water for as close to an hour as you an which will draw out the starch and help them crisp up better.
- After they’ve soaked, drain the potatoes and pat them dry before you put them on baking sheets.
- Pour oil over the potatoes and bake the potatoes in a 450 F oven for 40-45 minutes until they’re brown and super crispy.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and then whisk in the flour. Cook for 3-5 minutes and then whisk in the stock.
- Cook the gravy for 15 minutes until it’s nice and thick.
- Put the cheese curds all over the baked fries, pour over the gravy, and if you want, stick it back in the oven for another couple of minutes so the cheese curds start to melt a bit.
- Serve and enjoy!