If you’re looking for the perfect wintertime dinner than takes less than an hour and is vegan, this is the recipe for you!
- Olive oil
- A 2-inch piece of ginger
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes or 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3 cans of chickpeas
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 2 cups of stock or broth
- Mint for optional garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, heat up a thick layer of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Then, chop up your onions and start sauteeing over medium heat, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop your ginger and garlic to be the same size.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and add them into the pot with the turmeric, chili flakes or cayenne, and more salt and pepper.
- Don’t touch the chickpeas and let them cook for 5 minutes or so. Give them a mix and keep cooking for a few more minutes.
- Add in all the liquids and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- At the end, if there are too many whole chickpeas, mash them a little with the back of a spoon.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh mint leaves and enjoy!