People have a lot of mixed feelings about frosting. Some people can’t stand it because it’s too sweet, and some people can’t get enough. This frosting appeals to every type of person because it is such a balanced flavor that you can’t help but love it. Though it might sound strange to put sesame seeds into a sweet ingredient, it’s the perfect combination with sweet buttercream.
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3 tablespoons of black sesame seeds
- Start by leaving the butter out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes so it can soften completely.
- Then, in a pan without any oil, toast the sesame seeds on low heat for 3-5 minutes until they’re fragrant.
- Crush up the sesame seeds in a spice mixer, a mortar and pestle, or in a resealable bag with a rolling pin.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat the butter for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Then, slowly add in the powdered sugar until it’s all incorporated.
- Once all the sugar is in, add in the vanilla, salt, and sesame seeds, and mix until combined.
- Spread on any plain cake, cupcake, or cookies!