Orange chicken is a Chinese take-out delight, with a sweet and sticky sauce that perfectly coats fried chicken. If you’re keen to make it at home, it’s actually really easy to do, so give it a shot!
- 1/2 cup of orange juice, fresh or from a bottle
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 packed tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of grated or minced ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons of +1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 4 egg whites
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Peanut or vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch until frothy.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and put it into the mixture and coat for 5-10 minutes.
- Put the orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, oil, garlic, ginger, salt, and red pepper flakes into a non-stick skillet and whisk.
- Turn the heat onto medium, continue to whisk until it’s thickened.
- Whisk the remaining cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and add 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture to the sauce.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy-bottom pan to 350F, fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes, drain, and put into the sauce to coat.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!