This incredible dish is the perfect meal to start the day. The lemon-ricotta pancakes aren’t too sweet and, since they are made from ricotta and cheese, they also contain proteins. Amazing, right?
* 1/2 cup coconut flour
* 1/4 cup arrowroot (makes the pancakes fluffy)
* 2 tsp lemon zest
* 2 tbsp fresh juice
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 3 large eggs
* 3/4 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
* 1/2 cup whole milk
* 3 tbsp maple syrup
* Coconut oil
* 1/4 chia seeds
* A small pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 200ºF.
2. Whisk together coconut flour, arrowroot, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Process eggs, ricotta, milk, maple syrup, and lemon juice in a blender until smooth.
4. Add ricotta mixture and chia seeds to flour mixture, and stir until well blended.
5. Heat pan over medium. Brush with coconut oil, and drop batter spreading to form 3-inch pancakes. Cook until bubbles form and pop and undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until golden on both sides and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
6. Keep warm in the oven while cooking remaining pancakes.
If you want to make them ahead, you should let the pancakes cool completely, wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze for another day. To reheat, put them in a pan or in the oven.