Chocolate coated fruit and nuts are a delicious treat, and just a smidge healthier than standard chocolate, due to the protein, vitamins and nutrients contained within the fruit and nuts. If you’d like to have a go at making these sweet treats (which are a classic snack at Christmas), here is a simple recipe which can be adapted to suit your tastes.
Chocolate Coated Fruit and Nuts
Ingredients (to serve 8):
- 1 cup of mixed whole nuts
- 1 cup of mixed whole dried fruits
- 2 cups of milk chocolate
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of maple syrup
- Slowly heat the chocolate in a pan until it melts.
- Add the vegetable oil and maple syrup, stir until both are well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the fruit and nuts through the chocolate sauce.
- Pour onto a tray lined with greaseproof paper, place into the fridge and leave for 2 hours to set.
This recipe can be easily adapted. If you use a flavored chocolate, such as a chilli or salt infused one, this will change the overall flavors of the finished products. You could also coat popcorn, pretzels, coffee beans or marzipan if you want a different flavor.
Whether you’re making these chocolates as treats for guests, or as a delicious afternoon pick-me-up for yourself, this recipe is easy, quick, and tasty, so give it a whirl.