Chocolate Caramels are the perfect treat to make for your family, friends or neighbors. And, there is no need to buy them in the store since they are so easy to make and only require four ingredients.
* 1 cup sugar
* 3/4 cup light corn syrup
* 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into small pieces
* 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
1. Line an 8X8 pan with foil and grease the foil with butter.
2. In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, corn syrup and chocolate to a boil over medium heat and stir until smooth.
3. Add 1/2 cup cream and stir constantly until a candy thermometer reads 234 degrees.
4. Add another 1/2 cup cream and return mixture to 234 degrees, stirring constantly.
5. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of cream and cook until the temperature reaches 240 degrees. Taste it.
6. If mixture hardens when a small dollop is placed in ice cold water, then remove from heat and pour into prepared pan. Depending on your altitude, you may need to cook the caramel to the full 248 degrees.
7. Immediately pour the mixture into the prepared pan and let stand until firm – about 5 hours or overnight.
8. Using the foil, lift the candy out of the pan. Remove foil and cut into 1 inch squares.