I scream, you scream, we all excitingly scream for ice cream! In reality, the process of making ice cream at home can actually be quite daunting and take hours to prepare, making you actually want to scream. But this recipe for homemade ice cream is simple, fun, and will have you enjoying your evening treat in minutes.
- 1 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional flavorings
- 3 cups ice
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- Toppings of your choice
- 2 Ziplock bags (one mid-sized and one gallon-sized)
- In the small Ziplock bag, add the half-and-half (or heavy cream), sugar, and vanilla extract. You can also add a little liquid flavoring like chocolate syrup or almond extract, if you’d like.
- Press out the air as best you can and seal it tightly.
- Now pour all the ice and salt into the larger Ziploc bag, and then place the smaller bag inside the larger bag. Seal it up. tightly.
- Now it’s time to SHAKE! Shake the bag (or have your kids shake it) vigorously for 7-10 minutes, or runtil the cream inside has thickened into the consistency that you want.
- Carefully scoop the ice cream out of the bag, and top with your favorite toppings!