Cookies are universally popular, with their sweet taste and soft, chewy texture. Check out this cookie recipe, and then the three ways to adapt it to suit any taste.
Ingredients (to make 12):
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of dark chocolate chips
- ¾ cup of dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Sift all of the dry ingredients together, apart from the chocolate chips.
- Stir in the butter, when it is well mixed add in the eggs and whisk.
- Stir the vanilla essence through the dough.
- Wrap the dough in greaseproof paper or clingfilm, and then chill in the fridge for one hour.
- Remove from the fridge, roll out and cut the cookies into circles about 2 inches across.
- Bake in an oven heated to 320◦F for about 15 minutes.
- Leave the cookies to cool on a wire rack for at least half an hour.
Passion Fruit Cookies
To infuse these cookies with a passion fruit twist, follow the recipe above but add ½ cup of passion fruit pulp to the mix at the same time you add the egg. This will make the mix wetter, so you may need to sift in a little extra flour to balance.
To deliver some delicious raspberry flavor, add ½ cup of fresh or frozen raspberries to the mix at the same time that you add the eggs.
To give these cookies extra texture and crumble, swap out half of the flour for oats, instead. You may need to add a little more butter to help the dough bind.