The Japanese katsu sando sandwich is a 30-minute recipe you need to try.
For the tonkatsu sauce:
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
For the sandwich:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups panko
- 1/2 cup Yuzu mayonnaise or regular mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 boneless pork loin chops, 1/2-inch thick
- 8 white bread slices without crust
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- tonkatsu sauce
- Prepare the sauce by mixing the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oyster sauce, honey, and ketchup.
- Combine the pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and flour together. In a second bowl beat the eggs. Get a third bowl and fill it with the panko.
- Get the pork chops and make sure they are dry. Start dipping them first in the flour, next in the eggs and finally in the panko.
- Fill a pot with 3 inches vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot at 350 F degrees, start frying the pork chops until done. Top the meat off with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- In a bowl combine the mayonnaise and cabbage.
- Start making the katsu sando sandwich by adding 1 tablespoon of tonkatsu sauce on one side of the bread slices. Add the pork chop on 4 slices bread, add 1/2 cup cabbage and finish off with the remaining bread slices.