We adore donuts and might even love croissants even more, so you can imagine our excitement when someone decided that the cronuts need to be a thing! Layers of crisp, buttery pastry in donut form…what could be better?! Here’s how to make them.
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1-2 quarts oil (vegetable or canola)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Allow the puff pastry to thaw and place one or two sheets (depending on how they come) on a surface that has been lightly dusted. Do not roll it out or flatten it in any way.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out rings in the pastry in the form of a donut.
- Heat the oil in a pot until it reaches 350°F. Keep an eye on the temperature throughout the cooking process as oil that is too hot will burn the cronuts, while they will become too chewy if the oil is too cold.
- Place the puff pastry rings in the hot oil and fry for around 5 minutes. Flip them over every 90 seconds until each side has puffed up. Once they are golden brown, remove the cronuts and place them on a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar, and spoon over the cronuts while they are still hot from frying.