Potato rosti is a Swiss potato dish that is really simple to make, but ends up being a complete flavor bomb. It uses relatively regular ingredients so you can absolutely make it at home easily and really take dinner to the next level.
There are very few ingredients for a potato rosti, so they are all equally important!
You will need 2 potatoes, but you want to use a starchy one like russet or Idaho, clarified butter or preferably duck fat, and really good sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Start by laying out a cheesecloth or a dish towel and put a box grater on top of it. This will make it easier to squeeze out the water from the potatoes later on.
- Grate the two potatoes, or more if you’re serving a crowd, and then gather the cloth and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Put the potatoes into a bowl with 1 teaspoon of the freshly cracked black pepper, 1-2 teaspoons of sea salt, and combine well.
- Form the potatoes into patties with ring molds, and then transfer them to a skillet with the clarified butter or duck fat.
- Fry on each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Dab with a paper towel once they come off the heat, and serve!