Indulge in the rich flavors of fall with this delicious homemade butternut squash gnocchi recipe. Combining the natural sweetness of butternut squash with the pillowy texture of gnocchi, this dish is sure to impress your taste buds and delight your dinner guests.
- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Olive oil or butter for sautéing
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash halves, cut side down, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly.
- Scoop out the flesh of the roasted butternut squash and mash it in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Add the beaten egg, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg (if using). Mix well to combine. Gradually add the flour, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Divide the dough into small portions and roll each portion into a rope, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the ropes into bite-sized pieces. Using the back of a fork, gently press each gnocchi to create ridges on one side and a slight indentation on the other. This helps the sauce adhere better to the gnocchi.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Carefully drop the gnocchi into the boiling water, working in batches if necessary. Cook the gnocchi for about 2-3 minutes, or until they float to the surface. Remove them with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a plate.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil or butter over medium heat. Add the cooked gnocchi to the skillet and sauté until they are lightly golden brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer the sautéed gnocchi to serving plates. Sprinkle with additional grated Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper if desired. Serve immediately and savor the delicious flavors of homemade butternut squash gnocchi!