Risotto is not necessarily a hard dish to make, but it does take a little bit of time. The best part of this recipe is that you can use leftover rice which cuts your cooking time even shorter. If you are crunched for time but still want something really savory and creamy, make this ‘poor man’s risotto’ for something just as delicious in half the time.
- If you do not have leftover rice, go ahead and make that now. Simply use about 2.5 times more water than rice and combine it all in a pot.
- Put the heat on at medium and sprinkle in some salt.
- When it comes to a boil, lower it down to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, chop up garlic and any type of mushrooms and sautee them in olive oil or butter.
- Whisk in as much flour as you did fat and cook together for a few minutes to get the raw flour taste out.
- Add in regular or non-dairy milk and whisk it together until smooth.
- Season with dried sage or any hearty spice, as well as salt and pepper.
- Once the rice is done, combine the rice with the sauce in the pan, and serve!