If you’re a huge fan of pumpkin-flavored foods and drinks, chances are you’re always in the mood to try making something new and this recipe for pumpkin roll will be right up your alley.
Heidi Larsen, the author of the food blog Foodie Crush, shared this amazing idea with 130k of her Instagram followers. It’s been in her family for generations and she couldn’t wait to taste it every time the smell of cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin filled her home.
She decided to share that amazing feeling with the rest of the world, so give it a go and see if her pumpkin rolls are going to make your family just as happy.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 small lemon juiced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts optional
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-8 ounce package cream cheese (brick-style) softened
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs for 5 minutes, then gradually add sugar. Stir in the pumpkin and lemon juice until well blended.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- Fold into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Take care not to over mix the batter so it stays light.
- Spread the mixture onto a 10×15-inch baking sheet or jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper, leaving a 1/2 inch space from the sides of the pan. Top the pumpkin mixture with the chopped nuts if desired.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, generously sift powdered sugar on a clean, fine napped dishcloth or flour sack.
- After removing the pumpkin cake from the oven, immediately invert onto the powdered sugar covered dishcloth. Sprinkle with more powdered sugar and roll the cake up in the dishtowel. Allow to cool completely.
- Unroll the cake. Mix the powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the cake. Roll up again and chill. Slice into pieces and serve or freeze.