Harissa is a North African chili paste that is simply divine. It’s healthy, vegan, and bursting with flavor, so make it today and add it to all your favorite dishes!
- 4 ounces of any dried chiles
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 3 or 4 cloves of peeled garlic
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Put the chilies in a bowl and cover with boiling water for 30 minutes.
- In a dry pan, toast the caraway, coriander, and cumin seeds on low heat until they’re fragrant.
- Put the spices in a spice grinder or use a mortar and pestle.
- Strain the chilies but save the water in a separate bowl.
- Take the stem and seeds out of the chilies and put them into a food processor with the spices, garlic, and salt.
- Run the food processor and drizzle in olive oil until a paste forms. If it seems too thick, add in the reserved water.
- Taste it, season it more if necessary and then pour it into a jar and cover with a little more olive oil.
- Use for up to a month, but make sure you top it with extra olive oil every time you take from it!